Monday, October 5, 2009

TOEMP #6 - Back to Basics. ...Well, Elites.

Back during challenge #4 for the Tale of Even More Painters, I'd finished building a squad of Storm Troopers utilizing bits from the Marine Scout and Storm models, various Cadian bits, some Forge World heads and the odd length of guitar string. Following my brief foray into the Eldar, I figured that I'd swing back over to the guard for a unit and painted them up:



I enjoyed using the Scouts from the Land Speeder Storm kit - they afforded some interesting poses, I particularly liked building the trooper who's vaulting over a section of wall. I'm not 100% happy with the hellguns however, in retrospect I think I should have utilized the shotguns that come with the scouts as the basis for the weapon as they would have turned out a bit beefier. To make up for it, I added chainswords to various models to remind me that they do in fact carry both a pistol and a CCW.



Part of the current challenge is to utilize a technique that you don't ordinarily try. Since I need the guard to look as uniform as possible, I figured I'd try something new on a Dire Avengers squad instead. First off I primered the models white, which is something that I haven't done in the better part of 20 years! I decided that I'd also go with an ink wash base which is rather atypical as well - I don't use a lot of washes, mostly just on metallics.

It should be interesting to see how they turn out, nonetheless!

6 comments:

  1. Those stormtroopers are great. I'm not usually a fan of the scout bodies, but you've pulled it off in style. Might I suggest Dragonforge for a great alternative to guitar string? In his sculpting and modeling supplies section he has some cables cast up in white metal. They're wonderful to work with.
    http://dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/sculpting_supplies.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent storm troopers mate, very vivid. Looking forward to seeing how the avengers work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks folks!

    As far as the cabling goes, I play the bass so I usually have a selection of broken strings lying around. I'd like to try the modeled cabling at some point though - guitar string certainly isn't the easiest to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I've never seen a good conversion using Scout bodies for IG. I can see now they do make great Storm Troopers. The Landspeeder Storm poses are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work, sir! Clean paint job, fantastic use of the Storm Scouts to create dynamic poses. You have inspired me to convert Scouts into Storm Troopers for my IG army!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks folks - I forgot to mention that I'd used regular marine arms (sans the shoulderpads, obviously), which I thought gives the models a bit more of a 'carapace' feel. I should have tried to greenstuff some sort of armor plates for thigh guards as well, unfortunately my GS skills are for the most part only good for gap filling, though I am trying some new ideas based on what folks have shown in their own TOEMP models!

    ReplyDelete