Sunday, July 15, 2012

Imperial Guard - Manticore painted

Ah artillery, one of my favorite things about the Imperial Guard. One of the most potent is the Manticore - once relegated to the Epic line, it (and the Deathstrike) got a plastic kit a little while back. I'd picked one up and half painted it before haring off to work on something shiny and it's sat forlorn on a shelf since then.


But no longer! Finally took the time to finish it off - after dusting it off, of course! The background fluff for the Mordian 7th suggests their colors are predominantly black with red trim (echoing their company motto "In the dark, blood will flow"), so I've gone that route on their vehicles as well. Unlike many Mordian regiments, the 7th was drawn exclusively from the Night Rippers hive gang and many gang emblems worked their way into the company heraldry. Most common of which is the jagged knife as shown here, and sometimes takes the form of a simple geometric black-over-red shark tooth pattern as well.


The Manticore is certainly fearsome on paper, though I'll admit it's been somewhat less than amazing on the tabletop for me thus far. Granted I've only fielded it a handful of times, so more experience with it is needed. Now that it's painted it'll be far more likely to be added to an army list, as well!

10 comments:

  1. That looks great! Have to say for myself I've never really liked the Manticore/Deathstrike, purely due to aesthetic objections - I prefer gritty, WW1-style artillery and howitzers. But you've done a really nice job of bringing depth and highlights to what's essentially a black model. And I love the motto! You just need it in Latin now for full coolness value. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite the detailed kit. Goes well with a good paint job like yours, especially when your painting he's a cool theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much, folks!

    @Colonel_Scipio - I'm a huge fan of the howitzer style artillery pieces as well. I plan on adding a Thudd Gun and a few Griffons to the 7th soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice work! how have you done the tracks? I quite like them but am trying to figure out the colours?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Oink! the tracks are super simple - Started with a black basecoat, then did a very heavy drybrush of dark flesh followed by a lighter drybrush of leather brown. Easy peasy!

    It ties in well with the my infantry, as the rims on the bases are also done in dark flesh and dirt.

    Once I have them all done up to "factory finish" I'm planning on weathering them all at the same time, so it stays consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking tank. It's always good when you finish something that you've had to dust off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! Glad you got back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! Never was a fan of this tank, but your black makes it look very different and cool.

    ReplyDelete