Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Praetorian Project - Leviathan detailing begins

The detailing process has begun! I pulled apart the test build and started attaching the various detail plates. In addition, the package from Blood and Skulls Industry showed up, bearing the treads, wheels and turrets!


I'm really excited to get cracking on the treads - Tom provided me with a set of 2" wide track sections, and plenty of wheels. I need to pick up some dowel and spacer material, and then we'll be cooking with gas!


I'm also looking forward to seeing how the upper turret looks once the Leviathan is re-assembled. Size-wise it's going to be perfect. Unfortunately the side sponson turrets I'd ordered are looking like they're going to be a touch too small, though they will find use in future projects I have do doubt! Instead I'll be going with a set of Razorback turrets - a rummage through the Closet of Doom turned up allllllmost enough bits to pull it off. Just need to order a couple extras and I'll be all set.


I'm still pondering how the internal bracing structure is going to work, but there's still a bit more detailing to go before I can start the re-assembly process. It's all coming together nicely though!

13 comments:

  1. You sir, are quite insane.

    That's far too much work.

    Do carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This I cannot wait to see. God speed you sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very excited about this. How much planning did this take? Any similar projects I undertake would normally have ground into the dirt by now. Is this all planned out on paper, or done on the fly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks folks! It is a frankly ridiculous project, but I'm committed now!

    @Colonel Scipio - There was a lot of pre-planning involved, lots of sketches and templates drawn on graph paper. This is also my second attempt, so there were several things that I'd tried in the past which definitely helped to inform the construction of this one (primarily in the 'what not to do' department). After that I cut a whole set of cardstock test pieces, did a test fit, then altered the templates again to take into account any poor fits. Definitely a slow and methodical process - here's hoping it'll pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going strong! I hope the wheels don't fall off this project (so to speak)- its gonna be a big build! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is going to be epic. Where did those wheels come from? I scratch built a Proteus Land Raider recently, but I'm planning to do a more detailed, all around better version and part of what I need is better wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Col. Ackland - Ha! I'm actually a little concerned about how the tread sections are going to attach to the superstructure without deforming/breaking loose. I have some ideas but they'll have to wait until I get the treads and wheels pre-assembled.

    @Ian Logsdon - The wheels I used came from Blood and Skulls Industry aka Tom McBride. He sells all sorts of cool tank upgrades through his ebay store here (http://stores.ebay.com/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry) and is very responsive to contact through there. I highly recommend him, I've ordered tons of stuff from him over the years and have always been well pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn interesting project and one i'm watching with interest. Cracking stuff sir!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say I'm pretty damn keen to see this project blossom. You're a damn good modeller Mordian. I know this is going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks very much folks! I really appreciate the kind words. Hopefully the last of the detailing stuff I'm waiting for will arrive soon, I'm hoping to get it up on its tracks this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the progress on this so far.

    That lower tread superstructure could have quite a few applications. You ought to cast it in resin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What did you use for the size? Where did you get your templates for the walls?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sizing was all approximations based on looking at the relative sizes of the old Epic models. I made all the templates based on the initial sketches - lots and lots of graph paper. :)

    ReplyDelete