Sunday, July 21, 2013

Eldar - Warp Spiders painted

In the home stretch now! Finished off the Warp Spiders this morning and snapped a few pics. I have to say that these are my least favorite models in the range - I feel the sculpts are just a little too chunky and static compared to the current plastics.


I went with a really deep blood red and bone as the main colors, similar to the Crimson Hunter but a tone darker overall. The heads needed something to help them pop so I went with a gold highlight and a black helmet. The weapon barrels and hoses were given a pass of jade green and scorpion green.


On the back I tried my hand at drawing in some spiderweb patterns which aren't brilliant, but they'll do the job. My buddy Dave suggested adding the spider-y aspect symbols on the webs, so I'm practicing drawing it before I try my hand at adding them to the models (and cleaning up a little of the sloppy webbing).


At this point there are exactly 13 models left to paint - a 5-strong unit of Wraithblades and a mess of characters. In order to keep the blue consistent I figured I'd do them all at the same time - at a certain point in the process I'll split them into smaller groups (or individuals), but for now it's a good way to get a big chunk of the color scheme out of the way all at once!

11 comments:

  1. I love the colors you have on the spiders. The gold fits in well. You are really blasting through the army! Congrats. The webs look cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice colour scheme and once again, so damned fast! Impressed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just 13 models left? Great! I'll send mine right over!

    ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. How..What... didn't you just paint... I'm so confused. How are you doing this so fast?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you move fast! I like the gold/black/white color scheme too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep it up! I can't wait to see them all done. Also, I need some motivation to paint my own Eldar. Just sayin'... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the freehand drawing is well done. Better than I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was damn fast. And they look great! Can't wait to see the finished army.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Royce Peterson: Thanks! I sort of made up the color choices on the fly on these which is atypical. Relatively happy with how the gold/red/black worked out.

    @Dai: Thanks man!

    @Da Masta Cheef: Hah! 13 Eldar models, 400 million other models yet to go. :)

    @Zab: To be fair, there was about 6-8 hours on these models, I just started really early in the morning. :)

    @J.D.Brink: Cheers! Zooming right along!

    @agemmanjw: Verrrry close to having the army done. All things being equal they should be finished by the end of the week!

    @John Lambshead: Thanks mate! I need to clean up some of the shaky lines, but that should be relatively easy. I should drink fewer caffinated beverages while painting! :)

    @17yearoldhobbyist: Cheers! Full army shots to follow!

    Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great progress, now get back to 30K ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Stephen: Hah! I'm slowly gathering more materiel for the next 30K army, but I'm mostly on hold until FW gets to the Fall of Prospero when the Thousand Sons will make a reappearance in my hobby queue!

    ReplyDelete