Thursday, May 3, 2018

NOVA 2018 Charity Army Painting - Iron Warriors Complete!

Been a little quiet on the blog of late, been head down furiously batch painting Iron Warriors for the NOVA Open Charitable Foundation auctions coming up, but the interstitial pictures just weren't all that interesting. After cranking out 30 Dark Angel tac marines, I'll admit feeling a little trepidation over diving right back in and painting 30 more marines - but it's for a great cause and they ended up being more fun than I expected!


The recipes were provided by the team lead, and I was pretty stoked to see how they turned out. The metals on the armour have a lot of depth, and all the hazard stripes definitely make for a striking look!


I'll admit that a bunch of tac marines aren't the most thrilling aspect of a Heresy army, but they are the backbone of any self-respecting force, and I was happy to take care of the more mundane Troops choices and let the other very talented folks work on the the cool stuff!


The veterans were definitely my favorites to work on as they had a bit more character than their tac squad counterparts. They all got a bit more bling and equipment, and the sergeant got a red-and-white helmet crest to help distinguish them on the tabletop.

All in all they were a hoot to work on, but I don't know that it was enough to kindle a desire to do a full Iron Warriors force of my own (for which my wallet is grateful). Expect to see some pics of the full army and links to the raffle as they go live!

14 comments:

  1. So what's your mailing address? I'll send over my 30 or so Salamanders so you can paint my army in a shockingly short period of time for me!

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! 30 at a time has darn near broken me, and doing two sets near back-to-back has really been tough. Going to work on some smaller units for a bit or maybe a single tank, gotta regain my sanity! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm not so sure you can regain your sanity. :p
      Brilliant work as always.

      Delete
    3. Hah! True - It was lost long ago!

      Delete
  2. Mate they look awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Love the hazard stripes and Sergeant crests

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Definitely going to be re-using some of the metal recipes in the future!

      Delete
  4. They're pretty. You can almost smell the oil on the hot metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers bud! With all the washes that went on 'em, after each session it looked like I'd done an oil change on my car!

      Delete
  5. Good work on (Iron Warriors in general in my opinion) a boring scheme. And en masse too!

    Palette cleanser really needed now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I tend to agree, the IW aren't super exciting comparatively speaking. While fun and quick to paint, doing so didn't kindle an urge to do an army of them for myself.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Indeed! Not to mention Iron on my fingers, some on the table and a little on my shirt as well. Heh. :)

      Delete