Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Heresy Era Word Bearers - Ashen Circle Painted!

I was having a good time painting up the Ashen Circe, and pressed on to the finish line with 'em over the last day and a half!


From a pose perspective they're a little odd - I definitely understand what the sculptors were going for with the models leaping/touching down, but from certain angles they tend to look like they're pirouetting. With a single toe or heel touch point on each model, they were all given nice long pins up into the legs and deep into the bases to hopefully keep them in place.


Can't be one of my projects without getting my signature blue on 'em somewhere. Hah! Still, blue and red are good contrasting colors.


Part of the intent was to put some shredded/charred papers on the bases of the Ashen Circle (among other models) so I went out on the interwebs and pulled down some arcane script pages and shrunk them down to try and make something I could print out. This first pass ended up being a little large for my needs and shrinking them further made them more or less illegible smears on my printer, but they may be useful to attach to vehicles and the like as pages from the Book of Lorgar!

So far so good! ...Or should I say, so far so evil?

21 comments:

  1. wow, that was fast! Where did you find the smerf bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! The bases are from Secret Weapon, it's their "Omega Base" line.

      Delete
  2. You might try printing them on decal paper for some interesting vehicle transfers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say evil is a matter of perspective - amazing how fast you finished them! I have to agree with you on the poses. It gets more pronunced with ten of them in one spot though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Aye, was considering having some of them up on long pins in the air as though they were taking off and landing to try and avoid the pirouette look, but the test suggested they were very unbalanced and didn't want to risk bending and chipping the resin bits...

      Delete
  4. Shit that was fast. Have they increased the stimulant levels in your combat drugs? Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! To be fair the bases were all done last week, so really all that remained was picking out the details. I was able to sneak in a little hobby time over my lunch hour a couple times as well. A surprising amount of brush time this week!

      Delete
  5. Whoa. OK, due to some chronic health issues, today ended up being one of those days when I slept for like 16 hours. So to me, it feels like this was only like 6 hours since your first post about them. Impressive work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer, hope you're feeling better soon! There was also a little timing trickery, the initial picture was taken a day or two before the post went up... ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Sleeping for 16 or so hours generally does help me feel better :)

      And I figured there were probably some other factors in there, but it really felt like you got them done in the blink of an eye from over here.

      Delete
  6. lol, I love, love, LOVE the fact that they're on Ultramarines bases!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good man! .. You going to be on tonight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bud! Indeed, gonna be building a 20-man Tac squad tonight, you'll be able to see me glue my fingers together in realtime! :D

      Delete
  8. Those are some nicely painted models. Love the axes they are armed with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Indeed, possibly my favorite chainaxe variant!

      Delete
  9. Loving the thrust effects on those jump packs.

    I see what you mean about the poses, too. Maybe Word Bearers get some ballet training to help with their airborne acrobatics? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Hah! In-hand they actually look quite dynamic (with the exception of one particular sculpt, they do look goofy in the pics from certain angles for sure. The head, torso and legs are all a single piece so there's not a whole lot of reposing options either. :/

      Delete
  10. Wait, are those Ultras symbols on the bases? So cool! (No I didn't have time to read your writeup. Sneaking this peek in at work - naughty!)

    This project is just jamming along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye! They're from the Secret Weapon "Omega Base" line, with a little added talus to rough 'em up a bit. Been a fun project so far!

      Delete