Saturday, April 7, 2012

Heresy Era World Eaters - Land Raiders Built

The World Eaters army I have planned fields a pair of Land Raiders, mostly because I got a great deal on a pair of 'em on eBay a few months back. The pair of Mk. 1's had been soaking in Simple Green and finally came out, so I set about repairing and rebuilding them where necessary. Once that was done I took them out and gave them their first passes with the three-stage primer method I'm experimenting with:


This time around I kept the original lascannons that came with the kit, though I replaced the brittle and fiddly plastic arm with a length of brass rod and a little wad of greenstuff down inside the mount to really make it solid. The Lascannons always take the brunt of the bumps and scrapes, so the brass rod should be far more durable. Only one of the Land Raiders came with the original Heavy Bolters, so I swapped them out with the sponson Heavy Bolters from a Baneblade kit - the ammo feeds matched up almost perfectly with the grooves in the top hatch. Providence!

I'm going to paint up one of the tanks in the paint scheme shown in the art above, while on the second one I plan to paint the main tread housings in blue and leave the center hull and protruding parts of the side hull in white. Definitely looking forward to getting stuck in with the paints!

While I was at the hobby shop earlier in the week I picked up a couple pots of the new texture paints GW have come out with, and plan to experiment with them in the weathering process once the 'factory fresh' paint scheme is completed. Looks to be fun stuff to work with!

3 comments:

  1. looking forward to it!!! I like the artwork so the model should look great too. Interesting idea for the textured paint... be nice to see it used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think seeing these just bumped my scratch built Phobos project up my list of things to do! Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondering if you might be able to do a little tutorial on this 3 stage priming technique.

    This is still the cleanest white prime I have yet seen.

    ReplyDelete