Wednesday, September 30, 2009

TOEMP #5 - Complete! ...Also, Clowns!

It's been a rather productive week painting-wise, and I managed to polish off my entries for the Tale of Even More Painters challenge - On the troops side a unit of Pathfinders, and a Warwalker for the heavy support choice.



I wanted to incorporate some of the tips and tricks that I've picked up from the other participants in the challenge, and I tried out a couple on the Pathfinders. I felt that the bases for the Eldar definitely needed a bit more 'zest' than what I've been doing for most of the 7th, and as such I've added a bit of turf to the bases, and I think I'm going to experiment with some static grass, once I get a chance to swing by the FLGS. I also tried my hand at a more intricate camo pattern on the cloaks, taking a cue from several exellent examples. I'm not 100% pleased with the final result, but it turned out okay for a first try - I know a little bit more than I did before!



The Warwalker's mottled camo turned out somewhat muted following the sealant, but I kind of like it. I realize now that I missed a number of gemstones on the weapons, so I've gone back and rectified that situation. Definitely a fun model to assemble - I'm looking forward to building two more to round out the squadron.



I'd picked up a unit of Harlequins back when the new set was released, and had painted up three for use in a 40K:RP campaign I ran a while back. Since I had enjoyed painting the other Eldar models so much, I dusted off the remainder of the squad and set to painting them. Three painting sessions and 36 colors later I basically had to say enough was enough!



I have to admit for as arduous a process as these were, it was rather enjoyable nonetheless. I found myself actively trying to find the most clashing colors I could, and worked to ensure no model had exactly the same mix of colors. The three 'Characters' all have more distinct schemes; The Death Jester is of course primarily bone and black but I added some green and purple panels on his sleeves to give him a splash of color. The Troupe Master has a horribly clashing checkerboard pattern on his jacket, and is the only model to have all of the various colors on him. On the Shadowseer I decided to go a bit different from the 'feel' of the other models - the bodysuit is a solid deep blue with small star patterns (sort of), and I spent some time working on blending the hood and sashes in a red-orange-yellow scheme that turned out more or less as intended. I was trying to capture a more 'otherworldly' look to go along with his obscurement powers.



I picked up an Eldar battleforce on ebay which arrived today, which gives me a little bit more to build and paint. With that in mind, I made a painting chart for the budding army, which also helped me decide exactly what the final army was going to contain. Only this, and no further!

...Well, maybe a little bit further - I would like to pick up a FW Nightwing Fighter. Alas, that way lies madness!

7 comments:

  1. Every single one of those is looking absolutely gorgeous. The harlequins are a really really nice paint job. Wish I could manages something that nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome harlequins. Great looking army too. But, Harlequins - all those tiny squares of bright contrasting colours - what a nightmare to do but well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding, love the cloaks and the harlequins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on keeping up with the TOEMP schedule, your doing far better than I did!

    All the models look fantastic, and you've really shown off you skills with the clowns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks folks! I appreciate the feedback - the Eldar (and the Harlequins in particular) have been a fun change of pace from the guard. The paint schemes are definitely a lot more bright and punchy, and I think they'll end up looking pretty cool on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully painted Harlequins. I have plans of eventually collecting an Eldar army as well, and by the tone of your post, it seems they're a blast to paint. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job Mordian! The Harlequins do look great, but I especially like the walker, between all those gems and the molted blue it looks really great! I hear you on needing to take a break from endless guard, I will be doing something a bit different for the next challenge too.

    ReplyDelete