Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Kabal of the Crimson Woe - Complete!

After far too much procrastination, I'm happy to say the Kabal of the Crimson Woe is finally finished!


I'm fairly pleased with how they turned out - it's a nice little raiding force that exemplifies the Dark Eldar's swift and merciless way of war.


Here's a series of pics that are a bit more zoomed in. The entire army can start the game either in transports or lurking in reserve.


The last things awaiting paint were the various transports for the army. First up, the Crimson King's Raider. For the two Archons I went with dual sails to represent the Enhanced Aethersails upgrades and to help them stand out as the HQ transports.


The second Raider belongs to Duke Harkanet the Golden, and his Incubi bodyguard. As their armor is all heavily gold, I figured their transport should be similarly themed.


Next up is the custom Venom I'd built when the codex first came out. It transports the Kabalite Trueborn into battle.


Finally are the two Raiders for the Wyches and Warriors. These tow are significantly less blinged out to represent the lower caste of the troops they transport.

All in all I'm quite relieved to be done with the army - while I enjoyed the different play style the Dark Eldar bring to the table, I can't say that they particularly suit my disposition. I much prefer the sledgehammer of the Guard! I'll be putting them up on the auction block in due course, once I get one last game in with them. I always enjoy playing a game with a completely-painted army!

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year!

11 comments:

  1. The army altogether is an impressive sight indeed. I'd like to see some close-ups of your court and wracks. They look custom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much!

    Aye, the Court was all custom built early on before the new models were released. You can see that post here:

    http://mordian7th.blogspot.com/2011/01/kabal-of-crimson-woe-part-8-court-of.html

    The trio are my proxy Haemonculi, made from Privateer Press "Cephalyx Overlords". The close up pic of the three of them can be found here:

    http://www.cold-moon.com/40k/Miniatures/DarkEldar/Haemonculi/HaemonculiPtd.JPG

    I appreciate the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Love the bases, they really complete the kits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow they really look great all together! Awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the twin-sail Raiders.
    Wish I had time to work on my own...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should be impressed... but to be quite honest, I'm learning to expect nothing less from you! as you can probably tell from the lack of painting that goes on in my own blog... I'm also highly jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks very much, folks!

    @Killshot - Indeed, they are the "lost empires" set from Dragonforge bases. The Eldar runes on the bases really worked out well.

    @Hal'jin - The twin sails worked well to call out the HQ raiders, I'm glad you liked them!

    @Oink - I really appreciate that, it's been a while since I've had time to put paint to model!

    Thanks all, I really appreciate the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christ on a cracker! Those raiders are extremely impressive. Look so much like a pirate vessel. The color scheme is way different from others which usually go for purples or dark blues.

    Does the army play well?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! The dual sails really give 'em a piratical look.

    The army exemplifies the "glass cannon" style of play. So long as they can strike first and keep the opponent reacting they do rather well. But if something goes wrong, the whole army just gets washed off the table as they are so fragile. They are fun, but very challenging to play!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work once again! How did you do the bases? They look great and really tie everything together well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! The bases are from Dragonforge, the 'lost empires' set. As far as colors the dirt is Graveyard Earth drybrushed with kommando khaki, and the stone is shadow grey drybrushed with fortress grey, and a thin asurmen blue wash in the cracks. After that I dab a little PVA glue here and there on the patches of dirt and dip it in a little static grass. Easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete