Tuesday, August 30, 2016

40k Deathwatch - Corvus Blackstar built!

While I did have a little hobby time after work over the last couple days, I wasn't feeling the call of the paintbrush and thought I'd have a little fun putting together the Corvus Blackstar that I'd picked up a little while ago. I really liked the look of it compared to the recent questionable design decisions I thought the GW design team have made with most of their other marine flyers (the Nephilim is pretty sweet but the rest just don't resonate with me). This new addition however, oh my yes!


I will eventually do a second Corvus with lascannons, but for this one I wanted to go with a ground-attack pattern look - Airbrakes deployed and hammering away with the assault cannons! The kit went together like a dream, but once I had it all together I was a honestly little surprised by the size of the airframe. I was expecting something Valkyrie-sized and it's significantly smaller (Sergeant Crull for scale) - Not really a complaint, it still feels pretty beefy and it'll be easier to paint and store comparatively speaking!


I wanted to go extra shooty with this one and knew I wanted to add the optional Hurricane Bolters, but I love the big ol' Inquisition symbol on the roof and didn't care for how the weapon pods covered it up. That said, it turns out there's a pair of rivets on the underside that line them up just about perfect for mounting the two weapon pods under the wings, and I think they're a bit more realistically positioned for ground attack like this. I also popped a magnet into the roof so that the various launcher and sensor options could be easily swapped out but also stay put during gameplay.

Overall I really enjoyed building this kit and am rather looking forward to painting it up (assuming I can wade my way through the eight tons of bling on the troops)!



Off to Nova in just a few short days which means time is running out to get in on the rather excellent raffles for some beautiful armies that are up for grabs. The money goes to a good cause, and you need not be present to win - the armies and other models will happily be shipped anywhere in the world! Check 'em out - a couple bucks could win you some truly epic prizes!

10 comments:

  1. Nice model, i just wish it was twice as big as it is... And could carry tanks. I think it has a really cool stormbird vibe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... the GW shrink ray strikes again. I suppose one could just lengthen the thing using a Valkyrie troop bay or some such. Still, it looks nice, and if the Rhino fits 10 men, I guess this could too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having spent an awful lot of time in military transports, I can tell you that "seats 12" is not the same as "seats 12 comfortably". Most of the time you are packed in like sardines.

      Delete
  3. I agree with your sentiments about the recent flyers, the nephillim is the only good one of the bunch! This has a really sleek design to it and I love the way it disgorges the squad. A definate thumbs up. Look forward to seeing it in its painted glory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. I was expecting bigger, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always nice to get a look at things "in the wild", so to speak. GW's photography never really seems to convey the actual in-context appearance all that well.

    Honestly, I'd rather have it smaller. Anymore, I'm starting to care far more about storage and transportation issues than how impressively huge things are.

    Really like your alternate mount for the Hurricane Bolters. Def gonna have to use that myself. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Col. Hertford: Haha! Indeed, it does share a nice design aesthetic!

    @#2501: For sure - it seems a little small for supposedly carrying 12 guys. Still, gorgeous model overall!

    @Bronislaw Czevak: Aye, I'm really looking forward to painting it - Cheers!

    @Zzzzzz: Absolutely, though it does mean it'll be easier to store, with a little creativity I think I can fit two of 'em into a single Battlefoam tray.

    @WestRider: Thanks man! The Inquisition symbol on the top is just too cool to obscure in my opinion!

    I appreciate the kind words, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What everyone thought the Blackstar would be from teasers:

    http://fractalsponge.net/?p=1652

    I'm convinced GW saw his early in-progress renders and quickly built something similar. I wouldn't mind scratch-building a second, larger model after the initial stock one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being out of the GW loop for the most part, I'd not seen one of these. Looks pretty cool. Does it transport troops though? Would seem to not be enough room to offer a transport capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @#2501: Indeed! That's a cool site - thanks!

    @Dai: Aye, it's a bit of the victim of the GW Transport Shrink ray - on paper it carries 12 guys. I suppose a Chimera does as well and the Corvus is a fair bit chunkier of a model than that, but still...

    ReplyDelete