Monday, November 19, 2018

Kill Team - Elucidian Starstriders and Gellarpox Infected painted!

As soon as I saw the initial leaked pics of the Killteam:Rogue Trader set I knew I had to get my hands on it (and I'm in a similar boat with Blackstone Fortress), and over the last couple weeks I've been working my way through the dozens of models. Finally got them to a point where I could take some pics!


While I really wanted the box set for the Rogue Trader minis, I knew that if I didn't paint up the Nurgle dudes first I might not ever actually find the motivation to paint them. Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful, characterful sculpts but if I'm honest I don't much care for the Nurgle aesthetic. I'm a Tzeentch man at heart! Nevertheless, I held my nose, pulled out all the gribbly greens and yellows I had and got to work!


The set includes a ton of insects, slugs, bugs and nurglings! I really dug that every single one is different and they are quite characterful. I tried three separate green skintones across the various models which is more evident on the nurglings. It's subtle, but I think it helps them from being too same-y.


The three corrupted servitors are probably my favorite models from the Gellarpox side. A rather cool fusion of the Plaguebearer and Servitor look!


The four 'big guys' were entertaining, and you can really see the skin tone variations on them. Thoroughly disgusting models all around, and at the end I'll admit I had a pretty good time painting them.


Once the Gellarpox Infected were complete I could dig in to the models that got me interested in the box set in the first place, the Elucidian Starstriders! Thoroughly enjoyed painting each of the models in the set and I kinda wish there were more of 'em!


First up were the armsmen and I'll admit the color scheme sort of got away from me on 'em. I try to keep my colors to a three-set maximum, but after getting the red, white and blue down on the clothes and armor, I knew their weapons needed to pop, and they got yellow housings. Riotous, but perhaps befitting a Rogue Trader entourage - A group of folks not known for their restraint!


The other five models in the set are each a bit more individualist. The medicae got the contractually-obligated white labcoat and the tech-envoy got the usual -Martian red. The death cultist was done up in red and black (naturally) and the good boy got some armor to match the armsmen and a doberman color scheme. Finally the rogue trader herself got some Mardi Gras green/purple/yellow to help her stand out from the rest of the force a bit.

All in all this was a really fun bunch of models to paint up and I'm 100% looking forward to taking on the wider array of models coming out with Blackstone Fortress next week. Can't wait to get 'em in front of the painting servitor!

In other news, got my event tickets purchased for Adepticon, which mean that there's more heresy on the horizon now that I have a better idea of what I'll need to take with me to the event. In a slight change of pace I'll also be participating in the Necromunda campaign on Saturday out there, and am already scheming on what to take! Gonna be good times!

16 comments:

  1. Very cool! Good work allowing each model to have individuality while still keeping common notes to tie them all together. I share your lack of passion for the Nurgle aesthetic, but I look forward to painting something TOTALLY different from all of my imperial stuff. What a great effort here! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Aye, once I got started on the Gellarpox dudes, I did actually enjoy painting them. I just wouldn't have sought them out on their own...

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Mordian7th, I just don’t like the veiled Inquisitor model, but just my opinion on the sculpt. You did a fab job convincing me otherwise. The Gellerpox look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, the sculpy is a little odd. I think it would have been better sans veil, maybe? Part of me wants to do a head swap...

      Delete
  3. Looking good! I really do love the variety in a set like this. Makes it much less of a slog to get it all painted. Simple but effective work on the Nurgle stuff, and then some really great results on the Starstriders. Aximillion steals the show, of course, but I also like the gloss on Prond's bodysuit. I also used the Sector Imperialis bases for mine. Seemed much more appropriate than outdoor basing, given the locations for all the scenarios in the set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Aye, the sector imperialis bases seems like the way to go!

      Delete
  4. I'm with you all the way on the nurgle stuff.

    Both groups look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, given the choice Nurgle is my least favorite of the four ruinous powers look-wise. Liking the more generalized chaos-undivided look of the models in the Blackstone Fortress set!

      Delete
  5. Very well done! I am thrilled to see these so awesomely executed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done! Notta fan of most of the Nurgle sculpts, though the 'big guys' would make for great chaos ogryn for renegade IG armies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy heck mate, that's a great looking load of minis and done in record time!

    Like the scheme on the Armsmen. Would like to see a larger force for sure like that.

    Blackstone Fortress... Finding it so hard to ignore it - the option for solo play alone, but perfect otherwise for me and my son to play. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers bud! Aye, I really hope we'll see more models in the armsmen's aesthetic. I really dig 'em! Sady I fear we'll only ever get the five of 'em (and the dog). I am 100% in on Blackstone Fortress, got it on pre-order and cannot wait to get my grubby mitts on the box set!

      Delete
  8. Looking good! I'm curious to see how well they work in the broader Kill Team game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! From all accounts they're a bit down on the power curve comparatively speaking, but it's Rule of Cool all the way for me! :)

      Delete