Monday, June 24, 2019

Necromunda - When is a Goliath truck not a Goliath truck?

...When It only occurred to me after the fact that it would have been a better visual pun to have used a Goliath for my Goliaths! So, I went with one of the new Speed Freek models as a basis instead!


Fairly straightforward, a bit of a chop and greenstuffing on the driver to make one corpulent Goliath. It more or less works if only because most of the lower body is obscured and seated - The Goliath models are big, but not quiiiiite Ork sized, and the physiology difference meant I had to carve and sculpt a new neck. Added on a carved out chest plate and he more or less works! Will have to investigate some of the other Speed Freek kits to see if there's further opportunity for another Goliath vehicle!


Another pass of the water, pva glue and tissue paper to make a tarp to cover up the box o' squigs (that couldn't easily be otherwise removed), and a grenade launcher-toting heavy on the back to give it a little punch! After photographing it and looking over the pics, I figure I need to scrape down some of the more egregious orky iconography before priming it, but the spikes sort of fit the Goliath aesthetic. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it worked! The plan is to do a vehicle or two for each of the six house gangs (and a couple others) for use in the next Necromunda campaign...

15 comments:

  1. That's going to look even more awesome painted up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! It was a blast to build and I'm looking forward to getting some paint on it!

      Delete
  2. Looks good, i agree about keeping the spikes/irn teef.

    Which gang gets the Ridgerunners ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For now, the Ash Waste Nomads/Hive Prospector Team gets the Ridgerunner, though I'm definitely planning on picking up 2-3 more and doing some swappable crew to make them useful to the wider population. I have a few vehicles that are fully enclosed and will be usable by anyone, but I do like the idea of building at least one bespoke vehicle with exposed custom crew for each gang...

      Delete
  3. Excellent! I'm not surprised that they go together well, really. Both the Orks and the Goliaths draw pretty heavily from Mad Max imagery. A Goliath Truck/Rockgrinder for them would be perfect, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I think I may do up a rockgrinder for 'em!

      Delete
  4. Great work on the conversion. Looking forward to seeing this painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of gang specific vehicles. Looking forward to what you come up with for each gang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Trying to find interesting and thematic options for each of 'em!

      Delete
  6. Of course you went with that option, I would have expected nothing less chief. Looks well in the end.

    Maybe the driver got lazy from all the time driving?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Mad Max and I love it. Great modeling choices here mate!

    ReplyDelete