Friday, April 22, 2011

Adeptus Mechanicus - Iron Souls Protectors

The supposed date of the Ad-Mech vs. GK battle grows ever closer and I'm getting rather close to having all 3000 points painted. All that remained was a 5-man squad of Protectors (an HQ retinue unit), 5 more Legio Cybernetica Robots and the Myrmidon. Easily within my grasp!


For the Protectors, I knew I wanted to utilize one of the Space Marine chapters that is associated with the Adeptus Mechanicus, but I wasn't too keen on doing a unit of Iron Hands (though they are obviouly made from Iron Hands bits) - Instead I went with the Iron Souls, a chapter thought up (as far as I know) by Anaerion the Faithful, an artist who I stumbled across on Warseer. He did a comic series called "Rusted" that I really enjoyed, and the black-and-orange paint scheme shown in the comics seemed like it could be fun to try. The Protectors unit are all armed with Plasma weapons and Power Staves, and I thought the blue spot color really stood out nicely against the orange and black.

All in all, a fun little unit to paint, and I was pleased at how quickly they were completed (at least compared with the massive batch painting I've been doing of late). Only 5 more 'infantry' and the Defiler-based Myrmidon to go!

4 comments:

  1. Though you don't like the Iron Hands, you may be pleased with my fandex's 3rd release. There's something in there resembling what you've done here almost to the T.

    Either way, nice work; looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow man I love that colour scheme, I think you could be onto making an Army just using that colour scheme. It would look diffrent on the gaming table and rather cool I think. But I do love what you have done, nice to see some one take on and do a Adeptus Mechanicus Army.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks folks!

    @Lantz - I'll check it out! It's not that I don't like the Iron Hands, it's just that their black-and-white scheme doesn't grab me from a hobby perspective. They're actually one of my favorite chapters due to their long associations with the Adeptus Mechanicus!

    @Commissar Dave - I've got to admit in painting these I thought "hmm, maybe I could do a whole army of 'em", but so far I've resisted temptation. There's been a couple people who have done Iron Souls armies and they do end up looking rather cool on the tabletop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this color scheme. I'm sure it's very vivid on the table.

    ReplyDelete