Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Heresy Era Mechanicum - Things just got a little out of hand...

As I'd mentioned earlier I may have had a mild lapse in judgement and it appears that I ended up buying a titan!


Each of those toes is a little bigger than a marine. What on earth have I gotten myself into?


Yeah, it's a Reaver. Or more accurately, a Reaper War Walker. Completely custom sculpted by Sci-Fi-Guy Modelworks (there are some fantastic sculpting pics), it's a loving homage to the old Armorcast Reaver, with some design elements akin to the updated take on the beast from Forge World, notably the head and the overall size. Having owned an old AC Reaver back in the day, I can assure you this thing is significantly bigger, but surprisingly lightweight for its size. It's no feather, but I'd expected it to be far heavier than it is. We'll see if I maintain that position once it's all assembled, I suppose!


The kit comes with three weapons, the carapace-mounted apocalypse launcher in the earlier pic, and a choice of gatling, laser or plasma arms. I ended up going in for some extra weapons, and ordered two of each of the arm weapons for flexibility in armament. The arm mounts also can be mounted on the carapace, though it doesn't appear as though it's possible to mount the apocalypse launchers on the arm mounts.


There was unfortunately an issue with shipping and the USPS absolutely botched the process, mis-directing it from Denver to Memphis and back again before it made it to me - by no means is that a slight on the seller, he was as concerned as I was as we watched it carom across the nation for no apparent reason. The gorillas in the shipping centers managed to mangle the box something fierce and it appears that somewhere along the way one of the upper legs went missing. I spoke to the caster and he assured me he'd get a replacement part out to me straight away, he's been very helpful throughout the process, and an absolute joy to deal with. Overall I couldn't be happier with the kit, and I'm really looking forward to getting it assembled! Now to figure out what to do for a base for it - I'm scheming on trying to incorporate a somewhat beat up Battlescape terrain piece I inherited, but will need to wait for the leg piece before I can really tell if it'll be large enough for the stance of the titan!

10 comments:

  1. epic!!! No pun intended.

    Im sure you'll do a bold color scheme on him too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really looking forward to this! Can you post some scale pics (marines and such?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, quite the loon.

    Though this will be fun to watch you put together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kit looks really nice. How does it compare to forgeworld resin quality wise?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Zab: It's completely unnecessary, but how could I resist?

    @Matthew Beavis: Indeed, quite looking forward to getting stuck in over the holidays!

    @The Eye of Error: Hah! Still scheming on what Titan Legion I want to go with, but leaning towards something predominately blue or green to set off against the red and white of the mechanicum...

    @Greg Hess: Will do, I'll snap some more pics as things start coming together!

    @Zzzzzz: It definitely was - so much of the funds from the recent mini sales are going to the new car, but wanted to save a little for a fun project!

    @Miniature Tim: No argument there! :)

    @Dai: Hope so - It's been a while since I've messed with a model this big!

    @Phil Morris: It's cast in "Smooth Cast 300", which is a little bit softer-feeling than the FW resin, but it's still plenty rigid. Does feel a bit more plastic-y than resin-y if that makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Tis a slippery slope to damnation...

    ReplyDelete