Friday, August 26, 2011

Heresy Era Thousand Sons - The Big Picture, part 1

As I'm starting to get excited about getting the Thousand Sons going, I rooted around in the Closet of Doom and pulled out all the various boxes of bits and kits and whatnot that I've been squirreling away over the last year and started laying it out.


As you can see, there's more unbuilt in boxes than there is built. I've been going with the "Paint some before building more" technique to keep myself motivated, but I'm starting to get to the point where I want to try some test games, which means I need to build a mess of infantry. The 40 Dragonforge bases in the back will be Tactical squads (bits in the two battle force boxes and the orange shoebox) and the ten in front of those two big blocks will be the Devastator squad. Four more Jump Veterans will round out the Assault squad, after which it's all transports and tanks - a Drop Pod, 3 more Rhinos, a Whirlwind, and the Storm Tank. I've commissioned Machinator (who made the Rhino Kits and is well known for his Fellblades of Renown) to build a Falchion Superheavy Tank for the army - that being the Heresy-Era Marine version of the Shadowsword.


The painting chart is rather colorful at the moment, I took stock of all the bits and found I was actually short a few things that I'll need to finalize one of the Tactical squads. Looks like another MaxMini order is in the pipe to get more Steam Knight heads. When I first started I figured 50 would be plenty, but I guess that was wishful thinking!

...Man the size of these projects can get out of hand. My initial intent was to do a small 2500 point boutique army, and it's bloomed into a 4000+ point monster!

5 comments:

  1. You've a closet of doom too lol. Like the sound of the falchion super heavy tank can't wait to see that.

    Blitz

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have one hell of a closet... It must be more like a walk in wardrobe... or a Tardis!!!

    Am I spotting a magnus the red there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been an inspiration for my latest project especially with your lovely Mk1 Land Raider! I'm really keeping an eye on this! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a storm tank kit?! Please do tell where you found one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks folks!

    @Blitzspear - Indeed! The Falchion has a bit more of a rounded top superstructure that surrounds the Volcano Cannon/Defense Laser. I'm still in negotiations with Machinator about the build, and it sounds like it's probably going to be a while before he can fit it into his queue.

    @Oink - Yup, it's a big walk-in closet. I'll have to snap some pics of it, though I take my life into my own hands any time I go in there! Yeah, there's a Magnus mini, though it's going back into the paint stripper, after starting to paint it I found out I assembled certain things completely incorrectly.

    @Mihalis - Very cool! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do, the Death Guard are my next favorite Heresy-Era army!

    @Miniature Wargame Conversions - Indeed it is! I got it from the same fellow over in England that made the Sabre kit. He let me know that people can contact him about the kits at da_vinci11@hotmail.com if they are interested! It is going to require a fair bit of modelling expertise to assemble, but it looks to be a really fun kit!

    ReplyDelete