Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The last of the Crimson Fists - Part 2 (also, #100!)

There's a catch when doing the assembly-line method. There's usually a stage in the painting process where I hate how the model looks - some half-finished intermediate stage between highlights. The entire set of infantry now sits at that stage, and I'll tell you that really makes me want to press onwards and rectify the situation!

 

A fair bit of progress last night - I followed the Midnight Blue basecoat with a medium drybrush of Regal Blue. After that I went in and polished off the six exposed faces, and added the red lenses to the helmets. Once that was done, I continued the highlights on the blue armor - that allows me to be a bit sloppy on the lenses, as I can come back and clean up any overspill with the helmet highlight color. A highlight of Ultramarines Blue catches the major exposed areas on the armor, but at that point I needed to call it a night. This is the stage I mean when I say I don't like how they look - it's an awkward, sloppy looking stage in the middle of the process. There will be one more extreme highlight of Shadow Grey on the upper edges, then the armor will get a blue ink wash to tone down the highlights.

Just realized that this marks my 100th post, and I want to thank all of you for your feedback and support over the last year. The 40k blogging community is amazing, and I'm glad to be a part of it! Cheers, everyone!

2 comments:

Simon said...

Congrats on the 100 posts, I just got there myself.

The Fists are looking good so far. I wouldn't want to try batching 36 infantry models like that.

Mordian7th said...

Nice - congrats, Simon!

I'll admit batch painting the models can be a bit tedious, but it gets the job done. To be fair, this actually isn't so bad, compared to the 50+ Orks I'd assembly-line painted last year. Now THAT was a painful experience.