Sunday, January 1, 2012

Heresy Era Thousand Sons - Falchion build complete!

Hope everyone had a great New Years Eve! Leading off 2012 are some pics of the Falchion-class Superheavy Eye Of Magnus - I got notification from Tom McBride that he finished the build and will be sending it my way to paint this week. I'm super excited!


First up are some overall shots - He went with rounded side sponsons and turrets to give it a slightly different look from the more angular current-era chassis, and utilized several of the upgrade pieces he's made over the years to give it a heavier feel.


In place of the usual fuel drums on the rear, he made some new dynamo engines which really tie together with the Volcano cannon. The rear exhausts were swapped out with upgrade pieces he does, and the tracks were replaced with a set that more closely matches the old-school design found on the Mk. I Land Raider I have for the army.


I'm really pleased with the little details he added as well - replacing the Aquilas (not in common use during the Heresy other than by the Emperor's Children and the Adeptus Custodes) with some Egyptian styled eyes and scarabs much more suited to the Thousand Sons.


He was also kind enough to add some relief versions of the Thousand Sons old nova/starburst symbol, and what appears to be hundreds of rivets and little extra detail touches which really tie it all together. The result is an absolutely gorgeous piece of work - far and away better than anything I could have built on my own! I can't wait to get my hands on it and start the painting process...

Many of the resin upgrade pieces that went into the construction of the Falchion are currently available in his eBay store (such as the Dynamo and exhausts), if you're looking to add some customization to your own Baneblades/Shadowswords I heartily recommend giving them a look!

8 comments:

  1. Man, that thing came out amazing! All of the attention to detail, with the little rivets and everything else, really stands out. Can't wait to see this thing painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed - I'm blown away by how well it turned out. Tom does simply amazing work. It'll be on the painting table mere minutes after I get the package, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is bloody well awesome! I want one! and I don't even have a heresy era army (yet... thanks a lot!)

    don't screw it up now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That thing of beauty really will be a joy forever!

    ReplyDelete