Sunday, September 21, 2014

Heresy Era Mechanicum - Adsecularis build begins

The mechanicum lists that FW has put out thus far are rather interesting, for Troops I find they're either terrifying mechanical death machines or nearly defenseless rabble. I've done a fair few of the former, so now it's time for the latter! Now, I love the tech thrall models FW have done, but I find their poses all a bit too same-y for my tastes when it comes down to having huge swathes of them on the table. I thought I'd try my hand at building some of my own from various bits instead!


The tech-thralls come in units of up to 20, so I figured 40 of 'em would be the way to go. Interestingly I don't have to worry about them taking up a bunch of the army's points - the cost for all 40 is a whopping 130 points! The legs and torsos are from Blight Wheel miniatures, from their sino-russian range.


For arms and weapons, I'm going with some cybernetics and laslocks from Anvil Industries. I haven't used their bits before, but I've read lots of good feedback from folks who have. Quite looking forward to giving 'em a try! For a little extra detail I ordered up some of Anvil's small power plants as well. Not sure how the scale will work out, but if not for these, I'm sure I'll find a use for 'em!


I'm planning on using the "Lens Screen" heads from Ramshackle games, as I really like how they'll stylistically tie in the Adsecularis to the Thallax's heads!


I couldn't resist picking up some of their "Iron Brothers" heads as well, Not sure that I'll use 'em for the mechanicum, they may make for some interesting headswaps for some Prosperine Spireguard Stormtroopers! Sadly all these bits are coming from the other side of the planet, so I've got a bit of a wait ahead before I can see how they all work together...

9 comments:

  1. That looks like a cracking set of bits to mash up.

    I got since early Blight Wheel stuff when he first started out. They were very fragile with lots of thin breakable parts. I know he's worked hard to strengthen his parts for gaming use.

    The Lens Screen heads look like they will tie in perfectly with the mechanicum vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used anvil industries bits before and they are great quality and excellent value for money. I am looking forward to seeing how these turn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, nice to see I'm not the only one who builds 40k (or rather 30k) minis from all different manufacturers bits, with GW just supplying the bases at most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, looking forward to the progress on your builds. These guys already look cool just standing there. Your bit selections are going to make them the envy of all forgemasters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 40? That's a lot. I guess fodder should be cheap and plentiful though.

    Anvil INdustries have yet to impress me. I see their sculpts as being too blocky and lego-like. Hope you can breath some life into those arms and guns.

    Lens heads do indeed look the part though - a perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Frothing Muppet: I love the Blight Wheel stuff, but yes, it can be a little on the fragile side! These recent sets have definitely felt a bit more robust.

    @NafNaf: Cheers! I'm looking forward to giving 'em a go!

    @Da Masta Cheef: Indeed! I love the FW stuff, don't get me wrong, but there's something satisfying about just doing some good old fashioned conversion with a mess of various bits! :)

    @Greg Hess: Hah! Thanks man - I'm going to give the Green Stuff Industries tentacle maker a try for some extra cabling goodness as well!

    @Dai: For 130 point for 40, I'm pretty sure I can squeeze 'em into a list. Heh. Totally agree with ya about the Anvil marine-compatible bits. These are supposedly their 'guard' sized sets so I'm hoping they're a bit sleeker. If all else fails I may go with the Victoria Lamb rifles.

    Cheers everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great start on your mechanicum list. I really like what you have planned out. Anvil Industries does make nice stuff. I have used many of their weapon accessories in the past and have always been pleased. The lens screen helmets look awesome too. They remind me of Johann Kraus of Hellboy and B.P.R.D!

    I can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good mate. Lot's of great bits in there, as you know I have used most of them my self, and I think they will fit finely sizewise - the only one that might cause a bit of concern is the backpack. But let's see how it goes.

    Can't figure out: is the "adsecularis" a mechanicum unit or the start of the Imperial Guard?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Adam Wier: Thanks man! The Anvil stuff showed up in the mail, still waiting on the heads - hoping to get a start on the build this coming weekend!

    @Manus: These are all inspired by your epic builds recently, man - as soon as I saw the lens screen heads you were using I knew I had to follow suit. The Adsecularis naming convention is out of the Heresy book 3, it's the term they use for tech thralls for the Taghmata Omnissiah list.

    Cheers guys!

    ReplyDelete