Friday, September 26, 2014

Heresy Era Thousand Sons - Sorcerers and plasma support squad painted

Was going through and organizing the photo albums on my 40k repository site and I realized that I hadn't posted pics from the Sorcerers and plasma squad yet - so hey, free post! The first sorcerer on deck is Khalophis, captain of the 5th fellowship and member of the Pyrae cult. I didn't want to go with red flames as I felt they'd just blend into the reds of the armour, so in keeping with my 'keep the color count down' theory green warpfire it is!



I'm not particularly happy with how the gold works against the white loincloth, it's something that's been bugging me about the scheme on all of the character models I've done thus far - thinking I'm going to make them red instead, which should 'pop' against the white a little better. I want to try some OSL, but I'm just terrified of mucking it up. With all the washes and whatnot, any over-spatter will be essentially impossible to correct. That and I'm not entirely sure which shade(s) of green and in what order/intensity I need to be using (though I have a good working understanding of where to apply it and where not to apply it). More research is required!


Next up is Phael Toron, captain of the 7th fellowship and member of the Raptora cult - He gets to stomp around in the one leftover suit of Terminator armour I had from the 9-man squad, and I tried to tart him up a bit with the force axe and the beaky helm (as a nod to his cult affiliation). It was after the fact that I realized he's in the exact same pose as the sergeant in the terminator squad. Doh! I'm thinking I'm going to have to figure out a way to bodge together a transparent telekinetic shield effect attached to his outstretched hand. Even more research required!


Last but not least is plasma support squad Jafari. I realized a ten man squad would be over 300 points, which is a bit much for a unit in power armour that has a tendency to be just as dangerous to itself as it does the enemy. This marks the completion of all of the Thousand Sons infantry in the army!


Still a metric boatload of Spireguard infantry to go, though - not out of the woods yet! I went through and rearranged the guard units to match up with the current rumours and photos from the FW events. Looks like the "lasrifle sections" are a base 20-man squad (which seems reasonable what with that new transport mentioned to carry 20 men), so once the bits showed up in the mail I started building, only to realize that somewhere along the way I miscalculated and I was three sets of legs and a whole mess of heads short. Orders from Secret Weapon and Perry Miniatures are winging their way to me as we speak though! The army and weapons arrived from Anvil Industries, so I'm hoping to be able to spend a little time building the Adsecularis units over the weekend (though their heads have yet to arrive)...

4 comments:

  1. Love those flames mix a little purple into you darkest green and then paint that onto the tips of the flames and blamo! high contrast magic fire. The white in the recesses is a great touch many people never get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice on the green flames mate - red would have been too much, though I agree red on the tabards would work better against the white unless you went for a darker base tabard and kept the gold over the top.

    Toron certainly looks the goods - loving that helm!

    The plasma squad - what can say other than good luck with your gets hot rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Zab: Interesting! I'm going to give that a try right now, awesome suggestion!

    @Frothing Muppet: Thanks man! I love the randomness of Plasma, even though somebody inevitably gets melted every game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green flame was a great choice. Very striking and works well with your color selection.

    The white highlights really sell them!

    ReplyDelete