Wednesday, April 27, 2016

NOCF 2016 Charity Ork Army - Orks, orks, orks, orks...

Orks!

Earlier this year the phenomenally talented painter Zab over at Almost Perftec suggested that I speak with the further thoroughly talented Dave Taylor of his eponymous blog about pitching in on the NOVA Open Charitable Foundation project for this year, and I am honored to have been invited to do so! One of the two 40k armies that will be up for raffle is a rather fun airbase-themed Ork force, and the various participants put in requests for their preferred units - there have already been some really cool looking WIP shots coming out around the blogosphere, so I have some tough acts to follow!

Of course all proppa' Ork armies need a couple bigmobs of Boyz, and as I have no real fear of batch painting I volunteered to build and paint up the pair of 20-strong Boyz mobs included in the force. Not the most glamorous part of the army perhaps, but where would a Warboss be without his Boyz, eh?


Rooted around in the Closet of Doom for bits and have started getting things put together. I had the better part of the first mob already assembled, just needed to pop 'em off their previous bases and get 'em onto the rather cool resin bases generously donated by Secret Weapon Miniatures. While the basic Boys sprues provide pieces for a Nob, I decided to use a couple from the separate Nobz kit as they're just a bit more intimidating in my opinion.


The second mob is still in the assembly phase, but I did get the 'fun' models of the squad built. Still some more detailing to add to both squads as well, there's shoulder plates, knives and stikkbombs yet to be added, as well as the occasional hair squig! Hoping to get them built by the end of the weekend, and take advantage of the nicer weather forecast to be on the way to get 'em primered so I can get stuck in on some colors that aren't red or gold for a change! The deadline for completion looms for these (though not quite so imminent as the Thousand Sons were recently), so expect to see a slew of Orky posts over the next couple weeks as the Greenskins thunder down the painting table at me!

11 comments:

  1. Waita second, the Closet of Doom even has orks in it? How deep are the secrets it holds? Are you sure it isn't just a GW warehouse you sneak into?

    Looking forward to seeing your take on the boys though and fair play for taking on something vital but not glamorous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So long a you paint em a proppa ard colour like bloo...

    Looking good mate! Glad your going the shooter route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY Now! I can't wait to see what you do here :) Also, holy crap look at all those orks o_O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only you would be delighted to paint 40 figs with a deadline.... *shakes head*

    :P

    Good stuff mate - get at them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I was wondering if there's any way of getting a blank copy of your painting form. I've got about 4000 points of IG here and none of its painted. If I don't get it organised somehow, its never going to be and your painting form is the best way I've seen of organising it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I volunteered to build and paint up the pair of 20-strong Boyz" - not sure of many people who would do that for fun, so good on you!
    Like the use of the bigger Nobz for the leaders

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rory Priest: Haha! Indeed - The inquisition comes nosing around looking for the secret webway portal. That's what comes of 30 years in the hobby, I suppose, there's a little bit of every project I've ever lurking in a box somewhere. :)

    @Col. Hertford: Indeed! In this case however the army is all Bad Moons, which I'm okay with - they're my favorite clan as they share my last name!

    @Col. Ackland: It's going to be a lot of fun, and I'm honored to be able to chip in my modest talent alongside some true giants of the 40k painting world!

    @Zab: Strap in, man - it's gonna be all Orks, all the time for the upcoming stretch! Hah!

    @Dai: Haha! It plays to my strengths I suppose - taking one for the team, as it were! ;)

    @Antony Hayward: Certainly - hit me up on my email link (on my profile towards the bottom on the left-hand side) and I'll email ya a copy of the spreadsheet that I use!

    @Joe B: I'm a little unhinged that way, I suppose! In all honesty I'm really looking forward to 'em, will be a major change from all the power armour on one hand, and a range of colors I haven't used in a long time (Green! Yellow! Woo!) - really jazzed to take part in the project!

    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its about damned time you got stuck in to a good'n propa Ork army!

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome stuff. I expect these to be done by tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Da Masta Cheef: Haha! Indeed - Mork and Gork will be pleased!

    @NafNaf: I was hoping so too, but the weather has been conspiring against me. It's looking nice and sunny today though, so will be frantically getting them primered after work tonight!

    ReplyDelete