Saturday, April 2, 2016

Heresy Era Imperial Army - Prospero Spireguard state of the army

Got some interesting news recently, turns out there's a Horus Heresy narrative event coming up at the end of the month surprisingly nearby - The downside is that in the time between now and then it's highly doubtful that the bases I've been waiting on will arrive and still allow me time to finish the Thousand Sons. As I'd sold off the Geno Five-Two and the Alpha Legion is basically a shelved project, that means it's time to bring the Spireguard out of deep storage and see what there actually is.


The plan was that the Spireguard would be a heavy assault/armored company sort of list, I think we can say mission accomplished! The recent rumors suggest that the Spireguard list in the upcoming Forge World book will use the Solar Auxilia list, which honestly I'm happy about as the tank options in the SA list are better suited to my vision for the force. That does mean that I needed to whip up a couple extra infantry models to make the units list-legal, to the tune of a vox- and vexilla-bearer for each 20-man squad.


Luckily it's been very agreeable weather of late, so I broke out the ol' box of bits and knocked together the four requisite models. Did a read-through of the old painting posts I'd done to re-familiarize myself with the paint scheme and set to work!


Painting up four models turned out to be a snap, and with the exception of the Stormhammer, and the transfers and weathering on the KV-2's, the army is surprisingly complete! That gives me three weeks to paint approximately 7,000 rivets and finish off all the tanks to the same level. Should be rather doable, and it's been fun to get back into the swing of the Thousand Sons scheme!

13 comments:

  1. that's a nice looking unit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very fine looking army.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin' the Spire Guard. Good luck with the rivets, Iron Maiden were always great when I went to see them (all pre-1990 !). And that goat is rockin' too. S'amazin how much I've missed in a week. Phew !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring. What aer the tanks in the right more russes?
    Also, are you mixing units from the solar auxilia (lightning)with ones from the militia (stromhammer)? I think that's perfectly legal since both have the imeprial army faction. Someday I'll field a stormhammer with my armoured company.
    The infanry are las sections if I remember correctly? Rotor veletaris are also a crunchy unit to consider and quite cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The middle guard from victrix are a good alternative for spireguard if you want to field more slim minis (infantry squads from the militia list?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome looking force. Love the kitbashes for the squads. 7000 rivers though, damn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice army. I think the leman russ stand-ins really gives it character. It gives them some individuality but still have enough of a common design/paint scheme holding it together as a cohesive army.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Zab: Thanks, man! Definitely scratching my tank itch with this force!

    @Col. Hertford: Cheers!

    @Zzzzzz: Up the irons! :)

    @Francesc: Aye, the larger ones on the right are also played as Russes, with a lot of upgrades. The Solar Auxilia list also allows for the Stormhammer, so it's all legal from a list-building standpoint. I have a unit of rotor cannon troops coming up soon - half painted so far!

    @NafNaf: Thanks very much!

    @Agis: I appreciate it!

    @Jakub Furlanetto: I was planning on adding a trio of Dracosans for transport, and make it a fully mechanized force!

    @Rory Priest: Thanks very much!

    I appreciate all the kind words, folks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cracking army. Your paint schemes always look great both individually and in group shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 4 minis painted up like it was nothing... Well, good for you. They look great! :P

    Cool force mate - hope they'll stomp face. Tanks really should stomp everyone's face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, I'm working on a similar project and I was wondering where you sourced the spireguard heads?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Statler: Sure thing! They're from the Perry Miniatures Napoleonics line, specifically the "AN 40 Austrian Napoleonic Infantry" plastic box set. Comes with a metric TON of heads, including the Shakoes and other varieties. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete