Thursday, May 3, 2012

Heresy Era World Eaters - Drop Pods painted

The folks over at Dark Future Games are running a weekly painting challenge that I thought I'd get in on - the idea is to paint up one Kill Point a week, which should hopefully keep me on task for the Heresy Era World Eaters I'm working on. My entry for this week is a pair of Drop Pods:

 

I'd originally build these a while back based on OST's awesome pseudo-Dreadclaw that he built early last year. Originally planned for use with my Heresy-Era Thousand Sons, the theme of the army didn't really support them so they just languished on a shelf in the Closet of Doom. But no longer! Bunch of frothing lunatics that the World Eaters are, they need a quick way to get to grips with their opponents and what better way than a pair of Drop Pods?

 

I'm trying out some weathering techniques on this army, which is something I've never done before - the intent on these was to show that the paint was peeled back and blackened from their descent, coupled with the idea that the claws would drive into the ground and lever the pod upright, revealing the marines that have disembarked from underneath (hence why the weathering on the 'legs' isn't all the way up to the level it is on the main fuselage). Tried a bit of the 'heat bluing' techniques that Ron over at FTW hasdescribed, though with varying levels of success. I think it'll work great on weapon barrels and small areas like that, but on the big flat planes of the Drop Pods it was a bit of a hash. Overall, I'm fairly pleased with how they turned out.


With them done, I'm really running out of things to paint! All the white boxes are in various stages of "waiting for packages to arrive" so there's nothing to build, and I can't afford to buy any of the grey boxes at the moment. That said, next week's entry in the painting challenge will be a pair of Chaplains (likely not available in the upcoming Chaos Codex, but part of the Tempus Fugitives Age of the Emperor lists) that I've built and primered. Should be fun!

15 comments:

  1. I Dig these with great passion !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!
    Awesome job on the Dreadclaw-esque Drop Pods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! And thanks for pointing out OST's old post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, they will ride on DFG starting at 3:00 PM today! I love these pods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a great effort there. I love the detail of the hatches on the bottom as well, inspirational stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much folks! They were quite fun to build and paint, and I think they'll work a treat on the tabletop.

    All the credit for the build inspiration goes to OST - thanks again, man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! I love the weathering job on the doors. I'll have to try it the next time I'm painting something that sees heavy reentry weathering (ie a flyer or pod)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too like the weathering. But... I'd like to see more of it across the whole model. These things take a huge beating in my eye and really are nothing more that a tin can they throw down through the atmosphere to the surface.

    I imagine these things looking like they are all but ready to fall apart. Your white looks great on the model... now may it look war torn. You've got the weathering from re-entry already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! I really appreciate it!

    Good call, Ron - I'll go back and give some of the edges a bit more of the sponge stippled black and metal. Still trying to find the right balance for the weathering, but your point is well taken that, of all the vehicles, the drop pods really weather the most abuse...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe more grime than anything else. Darker shadows in the recessed areas. Not so much the damage.

    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gotcha. May be a perfect time to try out the Army Painter inks and give it a bit more brown and black for stains and grime...

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great!! As an alternative weathering technique, I would suggest using a sponge and dragging it along from bottom to top in order to simulate re-entry burn. I used the technique to varying degrees of success when I was weathering my stormravens. All I did was drag the sponge along the surface, it's as simple as that :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good call, I wasn't really happy with the streaks I got from my old tank brush, it's a little too "paintbrush-y". I used the sponge for stippling, but using it in a dragging motion is a great idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete